Saturday, August 30, 2008

1 more week apart

Shannon and I have one more week apart for training and then we will be back togther for the remainer of our service. I am staying with Shannon and her family this weekend, so that is nice. We basically found out that we will be living in Catacamas, Honduras for our 2 years. It is a good size city kind of away from most of the rest of the volunteers but we are excited for the opportunities there. We will have several counterparts to work with and I will have one person from my project close enough to work with so that is cool. This week, one more person left to go back to the US so we wish her the best. We still have 49 of our original 51 volunteers, which is pretty good. 3 more weeks of training and we all go off to our sites. on our way to use the internet today we saw a boy peeing in the middle of the street and by street I mean dirt road, but it was pretty nice. Really not too uncommon here. There is only one paved street here in Talanga and it is only paved halfway. most of the people are nice though, we do get the gringo yells and the girls get other comments as well. The food is basically beans, rice, corn tortillas, eggs. I eat a lot of fried plantains and eggs as well but they use a lot of oil to cook things and everything has salt in it. There are two kinds of standard cheeses here, salty and saltier. The salty isnt too bad but the saltier is pretty salty. They use a ton of sugar as well but the sodas taste so much better with real sugar instead of corn syrup, at least in my opinion. I definately drink more soda here than I did back home. Shannon went to a pool, had a talent show and wrote a play in Spanish. That was the highlight of her week. I helped make a little nursery at the local school, learned about making Tilapia ponds and visited coffee farms this week along with learning Spanish or at least trying. Once we get to our site, I might have internet in my office, that´s right, I will have an office, and can communicate with everyone more. Looking forward to that.

No comments:

Followers