Saturday, September 13, 2008

Site Visit

So we are visiting our site in Catacamas right now and it is fabulous! It is rather hot and humid (kind of like Texas) but otherwise perfect. The city is pretty big, depending on who you talk to, the population varies from 35,000 to 70,000. The city is extremely well laid out and the roads are paved and big by Honduran standards. So far, it is by far the nicest city I have seen. The roads are clean and actually have street signs and stop lights. There is pretty much everything we need here but it is more expensive than in smaller cities. Kevin is working with an agricultural university and one of his counterparts is from the US abd speaks English. So far he really likes it especially since the university is air conditioned and has wireless internet! I have five counterparts and it seems like I am going to be super busy. They told me that they have enough work for 100 volunteers! I am working with a substance abuse program, the administration office for all of the schools, a high school, a health center, and an agency that seems very similar to CPS. It is a bit overwhelming but I think I will really like it. Our host family is very nice and we actually have hot water and a washing machine! The family consists of a mother, her daughter and son who are in their 20s, and her three grandchildren, two twin girls who are 11 months and a 10 year old girl. We like it a lot and the food is really good too. Queso Olanchano is much better than the rest of the cheese out there and luckily we live in the cheese and dairy region. Olancho, our department, is called the ¨wild East¨and is supposed to be similar to Texas. Supposedly there are lots of guns and it is an unlawful land where people take the law into their own hands and have family feuds. I think that is more in the country because Catacamas seems very civilized. There are lots of cows and everyone eats red meat. There have been a lot of storms with crazy lightening and thunder but our mom says that is rare. The department of Olancho is the biggest department in Honduras and is bigger than El Salvador, but a lot of it is farm land and forrest. It´s very pretty, we are surrounded by lush mountains and love it!

2 comments:

CMonster said...

I love that the cheese is so important to you. I always knew we had a lot it common :) I'm glad to hear that everything seems to be going well, and that you're living in luxary, and not the wooden hut out in the jungle that we always joked about. I miss you guys a ton and I'm already excited for you to come home. I know its a long way away, but if I'm excited now, think about how much my excitement can grow in two years. I posted a few pictures from the wedding on my facebook page, if you guys want to see what a hit you were a the wedding.

mom said...

Where's the rest of the bridge??!! That makes a parent feel really confident about your safety! Love, Mom P

Followers